History of the area
Between 1603 through 1868, Ginza, named after
the silver-coin mint (Gin = silver, za = mint), was known as
the Japanese mint district. When a raging fire hit the area
in 1872, developers sought to rebuild it, following a London
The wooden buildings that went down with the
fire were replaced with Gregorian brick buildings and the avenues
developed to mimic that of a Paris shopping promenade.
year 1923, a catastrophic earthquake destroyed most of its
original architecture. During World War 2, when American
armies bombarded Japan, Ginza district was not spared. Rehabilitation
efforts took place after these two tragedies occurred.
most of its European-style buildings are gone, but a few
older buildings still remain. One of which is the famous
building with its clock tower.